Two business owner directors (50:50 owners). Both male mid 40’s – married with young children
- Business solid and growing quite young
- Taking modest salaries for the time being
- Only small pension funding but intend to fund more aggressively in future as business grows
- Big concern now – Protection issues
– Life cover – only mortgage cover in place – no ‘family protection’ in place
– No ‘income protection’ if unable to work due to illness or injury
– Worried what would happen shareholding if either died suddenly
- As only taking modest salaries, funding these covers personally is expensive
- Set up the following covers
1. Company Directors Life insurance on both for €250k each
Cost – c€55/mth – paid by company.
2. ‘Keyman Serious Illness cover for €75,000 on each.
Cost – c€75/mth – paid for by the company.
3. Pension Term Life assurance as ‘Family protection’ on both for €500k to age 60.
Cost €65/mth for each, paid by company as a trading expense (12.5% corpo tax relief) but no BIK paid by directors.
4. Income protection (PHI) on each director for €36,000 (€3,000/mth) payable after 26 weeks deferred period, to age 60.
Cost €66/mth for each, paid by company as a trading expense (12.5% corpo tax relief) but no BIK paid by directors
Will review all in 3 to 5 years depending on how business is going